Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Rainy days

It's funny to me how quickly a city can shut down. Just yesterday, the streets were packed with busy-bodies (just like me); out for lunch (i had mexican food), out at the mall (old navy is my weakness) and out buying gas and groceries in preparation for tropical storm- Eduardo. Even the billboards told us to "Fill your tank. Storm forming in Gulf". Watching the news this morning, it sounds like the storm hit East of Galveston, and although we have high winds and buckets of rain, we've dodged the worst of it. I ventured out to Best Buy this afternoon (I'm still trying to get my car repaired from it getting broken into) and found that the streets are still empty. Yes, it's raining, but that's nothing new to us Houstonians. Compared to May, this is nothing. My garage hasn't even flooded yet. Yet almost all of the stores are closed (including Best Buy). Driving home, I realized that we all like these "rain delays". They force us to stay in, relax, and breath for a moment. (something that we don't do nearly enough - myself included). So Addi and I are just taking it easy today (i didn't even make a to-do list this morning). Instead, we spent most of the day on the back porch, listening to the rain & watching birds and squirrels find hiding places. It was a much needed break for us. Something that we'll do more often, regardless of the weather.
Miss Addi also helped me do some laundry. Who would guess that laundry could be so fun?

1 comment:

Mommy said...

Addi's looking more and more like a "little lady" than a "baby"! awww

I loved your post. It's true - we all need to 'be still' more often and on purpose. I know I need to. Thanks for the reminder. :)